Monday 9 March 2015

Witch on a Motorbike



Possibly the best title for anything, ever...

Witch on a Motorbike // The Sun Annual for Girls 1973



I got hooked on illustration when I was studying fashion design many moons ago. In particular I am a sucker for vintage illustrations especially from the 60's and 70's, I just love the style of that era! 

At the weekend I was shooting some pictures at Yellow Fish recording studio out in the middle of the East Sussex countryside (I will post some up on here once I have finished editing through them). After I'd finished I had a a few hours to kill while Timo was recording guitar so I had a leaf through some of the books there... 

One of them was The Sun's 1973 Annual for Girls... I will admit there were a few jokes in my mind about it being a grooming guide for preteen wannabe page 3 girls but it turned out to be relatively innocent. Albeit with some pretty negative body image projection in the "beauty advice" such as a lament on the increasing size of women's feet that did fortunately stop short of imploring us to bring back foot binding.

However there was a short story called Witch on a Motorbike. Such a great title!! I'm sure the actual story is truly dreadful but it had these 2 lovely illustrations in it that I couldn't help snap to share...



Witch on a Motorbike // The Sun Annual for Girls 1973

Clearly health and safety wasn't such a big thing in the 70's and one's head was protected by the force of hairspray alone!!

Do any of you have a favourite illustration style? Or have you found some amazing illustrations in an unexpected place?

No comments:

Post a Comment